Medical alert monitoring systems first came out in the 70s as straightforward push-button devices worn by patients, or those who need immediate health assistance. They can alert for emergency help by calling a base station connected to a phone line that sends a signal to an operator. While current systems are also wearable, some come with additional help buttons that users can install throughout a house and accepts voice calls. Some even come with pendants that are motion-sensitive for detecting slips and falls, and placing emergency calls.
Medical Alert Monitoring System Features to Watch Out For
Those who purchase medical alert systems are children of seniors or seniors who live alone, so they can call for help quickly during an emergency. They may be at high risk for slips and falls due to memory lapses, coordination issues, or poor vision. An alert system can also send a signal to a predetermined loved one or friend in case a senior requires imple assistance.
AvantGuard Monitoring Centers suggests the following features when choosing a medical alert system:
- Functions with the user’s particular disability in mind: For instance, a survivor of stroke might require a device that only require a simple click for activation.
- Provides a neck pendant or wristband option: Wristbands can potentially aggravate individuals with skin conditions, while cords could potentially strangle those with mobility issues.
- Provides optional help buttons that could be easily installed on walls throughout the house: This makes it easier for the user to send a signal even without the pendant or wristband.
- Offers several options for who to call in case of emergencies: The system should have data of a point person(s).
- Provides a backup power in case of outage: The system should have backup energy resources.
- Has a base station that could be contacted from all locations in your property: This provides a quick way to contact medical teams or authorities.
What Else Should You Know
All medical alert systems provide round-the-clock monitoring services. Some systems also go a step further and come with mobile GPS features that function when the user is away from home. Make sure you get quotes in writing when choosing among different systems. This can help you weigh your options and get the right one for your needs.